Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Hope This Isn't "The Ironman That Teaches Me the Great Overtraining Lesson"



And just as I was gloating about how good my leg was feeling compared to a year ago. I mean, I was really noticing, "wow, I can go about not only training, but my chores and errands, and not be in pain", and "wow, the stiffness after a long run is so noticeably less". And then I got to my 20-plus mile runs in preparation for this Ironman. Weekend before last, I'd worked up gradually to my longest one, a 24 mile. Yep, that was the run that did it. The run itself wasn't so bad, but the soreness in my (previously broken) leg started that evening...and hasn't much diminished. I'm on an all-out effort to pull out all the stops on my "tricks" for putting it back together. ART therapy, massage, stretching and more stretching, whirlpool, ice, Pilates, pain cream and compression tights. And I'm trying not to freak out. I have just over 2 weeks remaining and the taper is officially here. Which has brought with it the reality of the work that is going into leaving this many animals with a sitter, 3 cats with ongoing medical issues, and what it is going to take to get them set up for me to leave.

So I think I shall think I shall dwell on something completely unrelated...Halloween! I've been crafting and decorating, and managed to get Sporty Spice to the Picture place with his costume last week. Isn't this the cutest astronaut you've ever seen? And appropriately, we have tickets to a big Halloween party at the Chabot Space and Science Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment